Worstead teenager takes on fighting role in musical
- Credit: submitted
A teenager is showcasing her talent in a new musical showing women fighting for what is right.
Norfolk Youth Music Theatre are celebrating the start of their third decade and becoming the first amateur company in the east to perform Made in Dagenham.
Inspired by a true story and based on the hit movie, the show focuses on the strike of the underpaid women of Ford's car plant in the 1960s which became a beacon for the rights of working women far beyond east London.
Ellen Smith, 15, from Worsted, who attends Aylsham High School takes on the lead as Rita O'Grady a role originally played in the film by Sally Hawkins and in the west end production by Gemma Arterton.
Working mum Rita's life changes forever when it is announced the women in the stitching room of Ford's Dagenham car plant will have their pay grade dropped to 'unskilled' and she leads a rebellion against the move.
The show features 1960s inspired tunes and the cream of Norfolk's young acting and musical talent,
The production is at the Norwich Playhouse from now until April 9.
- 1 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 2 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 3 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 4 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
- 5 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Virus expert says Omicron is 'unstoppable' and backs 'Plan B' rules
- 8 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 9 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 10 Police called after illegally parked delivery driver blocks bus routes
Tickets are £18 and £16 concessions from 01603 598598 or www.norwichplayhouse.co.uk.
Norfolk Youth Music Theatre was established in 1995 and over that time has presented 61 different productions ranging from well loved family favourites to challenging new work.