Women’s Institute groups at the heart of Norfolk Day
- Credit: Archant
They feature 5,000 members and have been at the heart of community life for several decades.
And to show their dedication to Norfolk, more than 30 Women's Institute (WI) groups across the county, will have a strong presence for the first-ever Norfolk Day.
Margaret Collingwood, chairman of the Norfolk Federation of Women's Institutes, said: 'The WI has been woven into the warp and weft of Norfolk lives for nearly 100 years.
'With our centenary coming up in 2019, with over 5,000 members in over 155 WIs right across this wonderful county, we are excited to be involved in making the Norfolk Day initiative a success.'
Mary Dorrell, chairman of the federation's communications team, said: 'It is fantastic how many WI groups have risen to the challenge. We had a wonderful response. If you put a call-out to the WI they never disappoint you.'
You may also want to watch:
?Coffee mornings at Attleborough Town Hall, Erpingham with Calthorpe Village Hall, Downham Market Town Hall, Ottendorf Green in Sheringham, Sporle Community Centre, Thetford, Hockwold-cum-Wilton, Marsham and Caston.
- 1 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 2 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 6 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 8 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 9 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 10 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
?Celebrations of community life, heritage, food and the natural environment in Aylsham, Belton, Caister, Banningham, North Walsham, North Pickenham, Mundesley and Reepham.
?Picnic events will be held at Bowthorpe and Eagle Park in Norwich.
?Members from Southery, Swallowtail in Sprowston, Rock Buns and Rolling Pins in North Walsham, Holt and Coltishall will be involved in events including village litter picks, hiding decorated rocks, opening community orchards and handing out handmade flower and lavender posies.
?Members of Barford, Wramplingham and District WI will even be highlighting the importance of good bus services at the bus stop on the B1108 in Barford opposite the Cock Inn.
?The Norfolk Federation of Women's Institutes will also open its Norwich headquarters - Evelyn Suffield House on All Saints' Green - from 10am to allow people to find out about its past, present and future activities.
Visit www.thewi.org.uk/become-a-member/structure-of-the-wi/england/norfolk/norfolk-day for more details about Norfolk Day events.