Will Young heads first Sandringham gig
Annabelle DicksonSandringham is gearing up for an invasion of thousands of music lovers this weekend as Pop Idol winner Will Young arrives in Norfolk for the first pop concert to be staged at the Queen's Norfolk estate.Annabelle Dickson
Sandringham is gearing up for an invasion of thousands of music lovers this weekend as Pop Idol winner Will Young arrives in Norfolk for the first pop concert to be staged at the Queen's Norfolk estate.
Tickets are selling well, say organisers. And they are looking forward to a weekend were Will Young will take to the stage on Saturday, and for the second year running, on Sunday, a Last Night of the Proms starring world renowned tenor Russell Watson will take place.
It is thought that almost 9,000 tickets have already gone for Saturday night's gig, but with a 10,000 capacity, people can still buy tickets.
Last night, organisers warned Saturday night's concert-goers they will not be allowed to bring food or drink into the area, but assured those coming to the proms on Sunday could bring in their hampers and champagne.
A spokesman for the concerts said: 'They have been selling very very well. It is going to be a very busy concert.
'Will Young is not a picnic concert; the nature of a pop concert does not lend itself to picnics. We promote responsible drinking. We do not want to promote people drinking too much alcohol. We do not want groups of young fans coming in with alcohol. It is a family concert.'
- 1 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 5 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 8 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 9 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 10 Driver banned for being fraction over limit
But he assured concert goers that there would be catering facilities on site.
He added: 'I know both Will Young and Mica are very excited to be performing the first pop concert at Sandringham.'
It was recently announced that soul sensation Mica Paris, will join Mr Young as the support act at Saturday's concert.
Mica Paris released her first original studio album in 10 years, Born Again, in May 2009.
Will Young has sold more than eight million records and his recent The Hits collection was his fifth platinum album in seven years. His hits include Evergreen, Your Game and Leave Right Now.
Helen Walch, a spokeswoman for the Sandringham Estate, said: 'We are very much looking forward to welcoming Will Young and all his loyal fans to the glorious park.'
For more information or to book tickets for this historic event, visit www.ticketeast.co.uk, or call 0871 224 1112 or 0871 224 1113. Gates will open at 5.30pm on August 7 and 8 with concerts beginning at 7.30pm.