Why Taylor Swift is at the top of her game - and why she’s coming to Norwich
- Credit: PA
She's the woman of the moment in the world's music industry, and she's coming to Norwich. Sabah Meddings profiles an amazing week for Taylor Swift.
Another day, another award for Taylor Swift's already long list of accolades.
She's only 25, and yet just this week received a Brit Award, Woman of the Year at the Elle Style Awards, and was also announced as the world's most successful music star, according to a new list.
Greg Ergatoudis, head of music at BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra said it was no surprise that she was the most popular artist in the world.
He added: 'She's smart, unbelievably talented and thoroughly likeable to boot and she's going to absolutely knock it out of the park when she performs at Radio 1's Big Weekend in Norwich. We cannot wait!'
BBC Radio 1 host Greg James teamed up with Swift to shoot a parody video of her single Blank Space and afterwards he said: 'I have never met anyone who is so famous but so normal and interested in you.'
Swift, known for tracks such as Shake if Off and I Knew You Were Trouble, began her week with her woman of a year award on Tuesday.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 5 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 6 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 10 All I want for Christmas is... a twinkling tractor with fairy lights
That morning the American appeared with pal Ed Sheeran on Radio 1's Breakfast Show and topped it with a performance and win the Brit Awards on Wednesday, where she won the International Solo Female Artist award.
After already admitting a visit to Ed Sheeran in his home town of Framlingham, Suffolk, Swift is due to make another visit to the east when she performs at the Big Weekend, and Sheeran has promised to give Swift a tour of Norwich.
Talking about the venue, he said to Taylor: 'It's near the pub we went to, where we stole the glasses for the walk home before we did our Christmas present-opening ceremony.'
The seven-time Grammy Award-winner is at the top of her game, climbing to the number one spot for 2014 in a list of 10 artists which includes Beyonce and Katy Perry.
The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry's list is based on physical sales, downloads and streaming statistics.
She topped One Direction, Ed Sheeran and Coldplay, despite removing her music from Spotify last November. Swift's fifth album, the pop-focused 1989, was released in 2014. It sold more copies in its opening week than any album in the previous 12 years, and made Swift the first and only act to have three albums sell more than 1,000,000 copies in a week.
Elle UK said about the singer, who has more than 54 million followers on Twitter: 'Since kick-starting her career over a decade ago, Taylor has been responsible for some of our favourite songs – and in the process has also cemented herself as something of a style icon, too, seamlessly switching between chic street style and glamorous couture gowns on the red carpet.'