Elf is back on the box this Christmas
- Credit: James Everett
Is it even Christmas if you haven't watched Elf? There's a heartwarming musical treat in store for fans of Buddy the Elf. Yes now, Arctic Puffin.
Son of a nutcracker! Elf is back on the box!
The hit film starring Will Ferrell has been given a musical makeover by Salford's Lowry Theatre and Channel 5 is bringing the whole shebang to a screen today on Christmas Eve's Eve at 5pm.
Based on the beloved 2003 hit, Elf is the hilarious tale of Buddy, a young orphan child who mistakenly crawls into Santa's bag of gifts and is transported back to the North Pole. Unaware that he is actually human, Buddy's enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth.
With Santa's permission, Buddy embarks on a journey to New York City to find his birth father, discover his true identity, and help New York remember the true meaning of Christmas: hooray! For fans of the film, I fear it won't be on any of the big channels or Netflix, but it is available on Amazon Prime Video.
You may also want to watch:
To get you in the mood, let's look at some nuggets of wisdom from Buddy the elf. And if you don't feel festive after reading these, you're a cotton-headed ninny-muggins and you sit on a throne of lies.
- 1 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 2 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 3 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 6 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 7 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 8 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 9 Mum's relief at Cawston Park closure after 'hideous' restraint on son
- 10 'Ugly' Norfolk pub fight was sparked by act of revenge, court hears
10 of the best Elf quotes
1) 'I've planned out our whole day. First we'll make snow angels for two hours and then we'll go ice skating, and then we'll eat a whole roll of Toll House cookie dough as fast as we can, and then, to finish, we'll snuggle.'
2) 'This place reminds me of Santa's workshop. Except it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.'
3) Snowman: 'Why the long face, partner?' Buddy: 'I'm not an elf.' Snowman: 'Of course you're not. You're six-foot-three and you've had a beard since you were 15.'
4) 'We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.'
5) 'The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.'
6) 'I just like to smile. Smiling is my favourite.'
7) [Seeing a sign for 'World's Best Cup of Coffee'] 'You did it! Congratulations! World's best cup of coffee! Great job, everybody! It's great to meet you.'
8) 'Santa! Oh, my God! Santa's coming! I know him! I know him!'
9) 'So, good news—I saw a dog today.'
10) 'What about Santa's cookies? I suppose 'parents' eat those, too?'
* Elf: The Musical is on Channel 5 on December 23 at 5pm.