Where are the Norfolk contestants from The Great British Bake Off now?
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
The 11th series of The Great British Bake Off is in full swing and we have all be picking our favourites but this year there are no contestants from Norfolk.
Let’s take a look back at the Norfolk contestants from previous series and where they are now.
All the way back in 2011, Simon Blackwell, who was a rugby coach from Watton, was one of the amateur bakers in the tent.
He only made it through to the second episode as tart week saw him leave the show but that has not stopped him from continuing with his passion to bake.
In April this year, Mr Blackwell set up a community bakery in Dereham. His bakery provided a fresh bread delivery service.
You may also want to watch:
In August, the Dereham Micro Bakery Facebook page announced that it was going ‘into hibernation’ and that Mr Blackwell was turning his focus to an original street food business plan.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
Our other Norfolk representative on The Great British Bake Off was Kate Barmby, a nurse from Brooke.
Mrs Barmby appeared on the show up until week four when batter week brought her baking journey to an end.
She still remains a full-time NHS acute respiratory nurse and has been a key worker at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital but she has not given up on the baking.
She has created some amazing cakes from a giant rainbow unicorn cake to Hagrid from Harry Potter, some of which have been for The Assembly House in Norwich.
We should also give an honourable mention to Sophie Faldo, The Great British Bake Off winner in 2017, who grew up in Suffolk.
Representing East Anglia, she has continued baking after her win and has set up her business Sophie Faldo Couture Cakes which sells luxury bespoke cakes.