We tried crumpets from five different shops - here’s how own brand fared against Warburtons
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
You can't beat a good crumpet, lightly toasted with lashings of butter, but does it have to be Warburtons? We put own brand crumpets to the test to see whether there was a better supermarket alternative. Here's what we thought...
Marks and Spencer, 6 Ultimate Crumpets
Thick and fluffy, with a nice golden colour and even appearance the M&S crumpets provided a lovely buttery taste and were ideal for use with either a sweet or savoury topping. I'd definitely make these my new go to when craving a crumpet.
Tesco, 8 Crumpets
You may also want to watch:
Initial thoughts were that Tesco's crumpets weren't as fluffy as others, instead they felt a little hard. However when toasted, they seemed to rise in the middle, almost like a cake. These crumpets weren't very sweet, instead they had a slight nutty taste to them. However they were perfectly acceptable if you're looking for a cheaper own brand alternative, they do the job/
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
Sainsbury's, 8 Crumpets
Sainsbury's crumpets were much thinner in terms of appearance than the others and looked a little dark before toasting, however they still had a nice spongy centre. The overall flavour was good, quite sweet and buttery. Would buy again.
Morrisons, 8 Crumpets
First impressions can be deceiving, but apparently not when it comes to Morrisons crumpets. They looked a little sad and sorry inside the packageing, all misshapen and uneven and the taste was equally as disappointing. Very bland.
Warburtons, 6 Crumpets
Warburtons crumpets were as good as we knew them to be. Thick and fluffy, with a tasty flavour. Despite my previous prejudice, they weren't the best of the bunch, coming in a close second to M&S.