Video: Alan Partridge wows fans at Anglia Square premiere of his new film
Red carpet fever has hit Norwich today as the man of the moment, Alan Partridge, came to Anglia Square for the opening of his new film Alpha Papa that he described as his 'love letter' to the city.
Dressed in a fetching baby blue short-sleeved suit with a pink tie, the cult broadcaster stepped onto the red carpet out of his silver Mercedes people carrier to the claps and cheers of his army of fans at Hollywood Cinema in Anglia Square.
'Hello! Give me an 'N,' give me an 'or,' give me a 'w,' give me a 'ch,'' the star said to his obliging fans.
'What have you got? Norwich!'
He said he came to the city for the premiere because 'the locals of this fine city have spoken,' and about 8,000 people went online to demand he held the world premiere of his film here.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm proud of Norwich, proud of this film, proud of myself, so the three things together, what have you got, Alan Partridge premiere here in Norwich, it's that simple,' he said.
'The other reason I am here is because of security.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 10 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
'When you are on a red carpet, it is very easy for a sniper to take you out. I actually asked myself a question, which police force could offer me the greatest protection?'
About the premiere he added: 'Norwich hasn't had a film premiere here since 1971 which was the Go-Between.
'That film was about a go-between, just as I will go between Norwich and London in a helicopter - I just thought I would mention that!'
When asked about the film itself, Partridge described it as a game-changer and one that 'could spark a cultural renaissance that is as cultural as the renaissance.'
'Let me tell you a bit about the film. Alpha Papa is a film about and angry Irish man who gets a gun and takes people hostage. Then Alan gets involved. Then the police try to stop him. But they can't stop him, and in the end they do stop him and that's the end,' he said.
'I just want to say, this film by the way, this film is my love letter to Norwich. I love Norwich.'
Check back on our website later and in tomorrow's paper for more on the Alan Partridge premiere.