TV couples who dated - or married - in real life
- Credit: BBC
It's difficult not to be overjoyed to hear that Outnumbered's Mum and Dad are together in real life. To celebrate, we look at 10 other TV couples who took their love from the small screen to real life.
Isn't it marvellous when life imitates art?
We've just found out that on-screen partners Hugh Dennis and Claire Skinner from Outnumbered, the BBC sitcom about the trials and tribulations of bringing up three children, have quietly been dating in real life since last March. The pair have both had previous long-standing relationships and got together after the ending of their respective marriages.
Dennis and Skinner starred as Pete and Sue Brockman in all five series of Outnumbered – they have worked together since 2007. During the filming of the show's 2016 Christmas special, the pair were both single, but within six months they were dating in real life.
'I am very, very happy. We are so very happy. It's nice and yes, it's so lovely,' Dennis said. There's a man in love speaking.
You may also want to watch:
Here are 10 other couples whose relationship has continued off-screen
- 1 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 2 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 5 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 6 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 7 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 8 Former factory site to become a new church
- 9 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 10 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
1) Cheryl and Liam Payne may have just announced their separation, but it was TV that brought them together when they met in 2008 when Cheryl was a judge on X Factor and Liam, aged 14, turned up to audition but didn't get through. 'I think you've got charisma,' Cheryl told him, 'I think you're really cute.' The pair got together eight years later and have a son, Bear, born last year.
2) David Tennant and Georgia Moffett: She played his cloned daughter on Doctor Who (and is the real-life daughter of fellow Doctor, Peter Davison) but let's gloss over that. They married in 2011 and have three children.
3) Kit Harington and Rose Leslie: She was his wildling love interest in the second season of Game of Thrones, and now the pair are together in real life. Kit said the second season, filmed in Iceland, was his favourite: 'Because the country is beautiful, because the Northern Lights are magical, and because it was there that I fell in love. If you're already attracted to someone and then they play your love interest in the show, it becomes very easy to fall in love.'
4) Judi Dench and Michael Williams: The pair first met in a London pub in the 1960s when they were acting in separate plays, but it wasn't until they did a stint at the Royal Shakespeare Company that they started to date, marrying in 1971. They famously starred in ITV sitcom A Fine Romance, about two people who fall in love as they approached middle age. Michael, with whom Judi had a daughter, Finty, died in 2001 aged 65.
5) Michael J Fox and Tracy Pollan: The pair met when they were boyfriend and girlfriend on sitcom Family Ties in 1982. At the time, Tracy was with actor Kevin Bacon, but after they split, they got together when they were working together againon Bright Lights, Big City in 1987. They married in 1988 and have just celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary - they have four children.
6) Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley: The pair, who met when they were working together on the TV series Wuthering Heights, got together a year after filming and married at an 18th century French castle away from the paparazzi. They have a child together.
7) Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher: The pair officially started dating in 2012, having met on the sitcom The '70s Show, which first aired in 1998. An incredibly private couple, they got engaged in 2014. Their daughter Wyatt was born in 2014 and son Dimitri came two years later. She said: 'We're still in love. Like, every day you high-five when you still like each other and you like your kid at the end of the night.'
8) Charlie Webb and Matthew Wolfenden: Debbie Dingle and David Metcalfe in Emmerdale, the couple met on set in 2006 and became an item a few years later. Their first child, Buster, was born in 2010 and, after a trial separation in 2013, they reconciled and welcomed their second son, Bowie Grey, at the end of 2015.
9) Chris Chittell and Lesley Dunlop: Eric Pollard dated Brenda Walker on Emmerdale after splitting from his outspoken wife Val in 2012, but Lesley later admitted that she struggled to have on-screen love scenes with her real-life partner of four years: 'I didn't like it when Brenda and Pollard were an item and we had to do kissing scenes in front of everybody. I'd end up thinking 'go away, this is private!'' The couple married in June 2016.
10) Katie Holmes and Joshua Jackson: Joey and Pacey were part of Dawson's Creek's famous love triangle, but they dated in real life before their characters got together in the show and were in a relationship during the first few seasons of DC. In 1998, when she had been seeing Jackson for a
year, Katie said: 'I'm just going to say I met somebody last year, I fell in love.'