FRANK CLIFF Scintillating string playing and the superb solo trumpet of Ole Edvard Antonsen made this concert, on the last night of the Norfolk and Norwich Festival, one of its high points.
Scintillating string playing and the superb solo trumpet of Ole Edvard Antonsen made this concert, on the last night of the Norfolk and Norwich Festival, one of its high points.
Antonsen was director and soloist in three late baroque works: a typically attractive, if unfamiliar, Suite in D major by Handel, a concerto, also in D, by Telemann and a transcription for trumpet of Albinoni's oboe concerto op.7 No 3 in B flat.
The trumpet playing was magical and these works showed how flexible the performance of baroque music can be, for Antonsen encouraged muscular, yet wonderfully stylish, playing from the Trondheim who do not use period instruments, and the Albinoni's sounded if anything more exciting that the original.
Leader Oyvind Bjora directed the rest of the programme.
First, a fresh and vital reading of one of Mendelssohn's early string symphonies, and also in the final and major work. This was another transcription, this time of Shostakovitch's 8th string quartet.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 4 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
The audience's ecstatic response was rewarded with two encores; the first movement of Grieg's Holberg Suite and an unknown yet infectious piece of gaiety by one Piexe.
t The Trondheim Soloists performed at St Peter Mancroft, Norwich.