TREVOR HEATON, EDP Whats On Editor Norwich Playhouse
TREVOR HEATON, EDP Whats On Editor
> Norwich Playhouse
This show was billed as a “cunning night out” – an inevitable reference to Tony Robinson's most famous role.
For despite being one of Channel 4's most popular presenters (Time Team, Worst Job in History), actor and talented author, it's the long shadow of his role as Blackadder's sidekick Baldrick which continues to dominate his career.
Quite how the one-time Essex schoolboy ended up playing the “stupidest and smelliest” character in history was explored in entertaining fashion for a full-house audience.
The actor kept an appreciative audience amused with a succession of behind-the-scenes tales, family stories and quirky historical excerpts – aided by his bubbly personality and his trademark can't-keep-still presenting style.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 3 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 4 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 9 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 10 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
So we took in his first flush of fame – as the Artful Dodger in the original production of Oliver! (“I was brilliant… for about four minutes”), unrepeatable tales of Henry V's knights, filming with John Wayne, an excruciating 1960s public information film on dental health… and the Blackadder line which even Rowan Atkinson didn't dare say.