Three Norfolk restaurants ranked among the best in the UK
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of voters from across the country helped Squaremeal, a restaurant and venue guide, select the top 100 restaurants outside of London, several of which can be found in our region.
Readers, bloggers, and reviewers from all over the UK recently took part in an online survey to help Squaremeal.co.uk select the best 100 eateries outside of London.
The final results are in and three of Norfolk's restaurants have made the cut, with Roger Hickman's Restaurant, on Upper St Giles Street in Norwich, ranking at number 55, the highest position for the county on this year's list.
Roger Hickman was absolutely thrilled that his business had been included, he said: 'I'm well chuffed. Norfolk isn't particularly strong when it comes to food, as you can see from the list, so it's nice to make it on there and help put Norwich on the map.'
Benedicts on St Benedicts Street in Norwich placed at number 63, much to the delight of owner Richard Bainbridge, who said: 'For us to be included in such a prestigious list within the first year of trading alongside some of the greatest restaurants in the country is phenomenal and overwhelming. Such a great achievement and recognition for all the blood, sweat and tears, that ourselves and staff have put into Benedicts since the doors flew open!'
You may also want to watch:
The last Norfolk restaurant to place within the top 100, was Morston Hall in Holt, which squeezed in at 83.
Owner and chef patron Galston Blackiston said he was 'very pleased' that the restaurant had been recognised once again. He said: 'We've been in the Squaremeal top 100 for a while now, but it's nice to know we are maintaining high standards and I'm pleased to receive the accolade.'
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 10 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
The list also features several restaurants from Suffolk, with Bury St Edmund's Maison Bleue coming in at 56, just behind Roger Hickman's. Two other restaurants from Bury St Edmunds placed on the list - Pea Porridge came in at number 60, while 1921 was 90. The Great House in Lavenham ranked at 68.
The number one restaurant in the country, according to Squaremeal.co.uk readers and reviewers, was Heston Blumenthal's The Fat Duck in Bray.
Ben McCormack, Editor at Squaremeal.co.uk said: 'The compilation of the list was a three way process. We started by sending out a survey to all our readers asking them to nominate their favourite restaurants - this generated a big list of nominations which readers could then vote for. We do also take critical opinion into account and look at reviews in each area, but the final product is very much reader driven.'
• See the full list online at www.squaremeal.co.uknews/uk-top-100-restaurants-2016• What other Norfolk restaurants would you have liked to have seen make the cut? Let us know in the comments below.