Thirty artists’ work featured in Norwich exhibition celebrating the life of John Berger
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
More than 30 artists are exhibiting work in a special show at a Norwich gallery celebrating the life of John Berger.
Seeing Through Drawing - which is at Mandell's Gallery in Elm Hill from July 8 until August 26 - is a tribute to Mr Berger, a writer and artist with a passionate love of drawing and who died earlier this year aged 90. Mr Berger was well known for his books, critical writings and television programmes on art including the BBC series Ways of Seeing, and he also won the Booker Prize for his novel G in 1972.
Suffolk artist John Christie, one of his long-time collaborators, has joined forces with fellow artist Martin Battye, a member of the Norwich 20 Group, and Mandell's Gallery to present the exhibition which includes works on paper from different periods of Mr Berger's life and also works by contemporary artists who either knew and collaborated with him or were influenced both by his critical writings and novels over the years.
There are an array of drawings by Mr Berger's contemporaries, Frank Auerbach, Peter de Francia, Leon Kossoff, Robert Medley, and Edward Middleditch.
Other artists featured in the exhibition include: Yvonne Barlow, Martin Battye, Basil Beattie, Yves Berger, Liane Birnberg, Michael Broughton, John Christie, Katarzyna Coleman, Graham Crowley, Laurence Edwards, Kate Giles, Maggi Hambling, Jane Harris, Bridget Heriz, Eileen Hogan, Annabel Gault, Derrick Greaves, John Kiki, Rostislav Kunovsky, Jules Linglin, Randa Maddah, Derek Morris, Hughie O'Donoghue, Emrys Parry, Doff Ransome, Sula Rubens, Colin Self, Bruer Tidman, Emyr Williams and Mary Webb.
A book has also been created to accompany the exhibition.
For more information about the exhibition, visit www.mandellsgallery.co.uk
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 3 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 4 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 5 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 6 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 7 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 8 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 9 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 10 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough