Thirty artists’ work featured in Norwich exhibition celebrating the life of John Berger
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
More than 30 artists are exhibiting work in a special show at a Norwich gallery celebrating the life of John Berger.
Seeing Through Drawing - which is at Mandell's Gallery in Elm Hill from July 8 until August 26 - is a tribute to Mr Berger, a writer and artist with a passionate love of drawing and who died earlier this year aged 90. Mr Berger was well known for his books, critical writings and television programmes on art including the BBC series Ways of Seeing, and he also won the Booker Prize for his novel G in 1972.
Suffolk artist John Christie, one of his long-time collaborators, has joined forces with fellow artist Martin Battye, a member of the Norwich 20 Group, and Mandell's Gallery to present the exhibition which includes works on paper from different periods of Mr Berger's life and also works by contemporary artists who either knew and collaborated with him or were influenced both by his critical writings and novels over the years.
There are an array of drawings by Mr Berger's contemporaries, Frank Auerbach, Peter de Francia, Leon Kossoff, Robert Medley, and Edward Middleditch.
Other artists featured in the exhibition include: Yvonne Barlow, Martin Battye, Basil Beattie, Yves Berger, Liane Birnberg, Michael Broughton, John Christie, Katarzyna Coleman, Graham Crowley, Laurence Edwards, Kate Giles, Maggi Hambling, Jane Harris, Bridget Heriz, Eileen Hogan, Annabel Gault, Derrick Greaves, John Kiki, Rostislav Kunovsky, Jules Linglin, Randa Maddah, Derek Morris, Hughie O'Donoghue, Emrys Parry, Doff Ransome, Sula Rubens, Colin Self, Bruer Tidman, Emyr Williams and Mary Webb.
You may also want to watch:
A book has also been created to accompany the exhibition.
For more information about the exhibition, visit www.mandellsgallery.co.uk
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock