Things to do in Norfolk: 20 theatre shows not to miss in June 2017
- Credit: Paul Coltas
Arts correspondent Emma Knights highlights 20 shows taking to the stage in Norfolk in June.
For the latest What's On news click here
• Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - Maddermarket Theatre, Norwich, May 31-June 3
Young people from Norwich's Limelight Theatre Company present their version of the hit musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice musical, telling the Old Testament story of Joseph and his rise from slave to prince, thanks to his gift of reading people's dreams.
Tickets £12-£14 - www.maddermarket.co.uk or call 01603 620917
You may also want to watch:
• Relatively Speaking - Westacre Theatre, Westacre, June 2, 3, 9, 10, 11
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 3 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 4 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 7 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 8 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
The Westacre Theatre Company presents the Alan Ayckbourn comedy Relatively Speaking in which Greg wants to ask Ginny's parents for her hand in marriage - but what he doesn't realise is they are not her parents...
Tickets £16 adults (£12 under 12s) - www.westacretheatre.com or call 01760 755 800
• As You Like It - St George's Theatre in Great Yarmouth June 5, Whiffler Theatre in Norwich June 8, Paston Sixth Form College in North Walsham June 9, and Diss Park June 10
The world's first cycling theatre company, The HandleBards, perform Shakespeare's comedy of love and mistaken identity with an all-female cast.
Tickets for June 5 £12 adults (£10 concs) - www.stgeorgestheatre.com or call 01493 331484
Tickets for June 8 various prices - www.norwichartscentre.co.uk or call 01603 660352
Tickets for June 9 £12 adults, £6 under 16s - www.sheringhamlittletheatre.com or call 01263 822347
Tickets for June 10 £15 adults (£7 under 16s) - www.thecornhall.co.uk or call 01379 652241
• Romeo & Juliet & Twelfth Night - Norwich Theatre Royal, June 6-10
The Watermill Theatre presents two Shakespearean classics, with Romeo and Juliet's tragic tale of all-consuming love performed on June 7, 8 and 10, and the comedy Twelfth Night performed on June 6, 9 and 10.
Tickets for each play £8-£26.50 - www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call 01603 630000
• The Marked - Norwich Playhouse, June 7
As a boy, Jack lived in a world of monsters and invisible guardians, as he fought to protect the people he loved. Now grown up, his life on the streets of London is less fantastical. But when a ghost from his past turns up, Jack must harness the power of forgotten myths to defeat her.
Ticket £12 (concs £10, students £8.50) - www.norwichplayhouse.co.uk or call 01603 598598
• Dogfight - Platform Theatre, City College Norwich, June 7 and 8
A musical in which a group of marines spend their last night of freedom in San Francisco before being shipped off to Vietnam to fight. They set up a dogfight where the marine with the ugliest date wins cash, but then Eddie meets Rose and a very awkward love story unfolds.
Tickets £8.50 (concs £5.50) - www.platformtheatre.co.uk/show/dogfight or call 0844 888 9991
• Magnificence - Shoe Factory Social Club, Norwich, June 7-10
Crude Apache Theatre Company present Howard Brenton's highly political 1973 play Magnificence. It tells of a group of young idealistic political activists occupying an abandoned London tenement to protest against housing policies which have made homelessness endemic across Britain, meanwhile two men from the upper echelons of government argue over the rules and roles of power.
Tickets £8 (£6 concs) - www.universe.com/events/magnificence-by-howard-brenton-tickets-PT316Q
• Talking Heads - Sewell Barn Theatre, Norwich, June 8-10 and 14-17
Alan Bennett's Talking Heads invites the audience into the homes and hearts of ordinary women in extraordinary circumstances via a series of witty, moving and controversial monologues.
Tickets £9 (£7 concs) - www.sewellbarn.org or call 01603 626414
• All or Nothing - The Mod Musical - The Corn Exchange, King's Lynn, June 9-10
This British 'Mod' musical celebrates the unique sound of the 1960s Mod band, The Small Faces, featuring songs including Whatcha Gonna Do About It, Lazy Sunday and All Or Nothing.
Tickets £10-£26.50 - www.kingslynncornexchange.co.uk or call 01553 764864
• Curious Cabaret - Norwich Playhouse, June 10
Gossamer Thread's Vaudeville Co. return to the Norwich Playhouse joined by a stellar line-up of international circus, cabaret and burlesque performers.
Tickets £18 - www.norwichplayhouse.co.uk or call 01603 598598
• The Play That Goes Wrong - Norwich Theatre Royal, June 12-17
Fawlty Towers meets Noises Off in this comedy about the Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society battling against the odds to reach the final curtain call of their murder mystery show.
Tickets £8-£28.50 - www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call 01603 630000
• Dial Medicine For Murder - Norwich Playhouse, June 13
Doctors Harry Brunjes and Andrew Johns delve into the murky world of two of history's most infamous homicidal physicians - John Bodkin Adams and Harold Shipman.
Tickets £16.50 - www.norwichplayhouse.co.uk or call 01603 598598
• The Weekend - Sheringham Little Theatre, June 14-17
Presented by Sheringham Players, The Weekend by Michael Palin sees world-weary Stephen Febble do his best to be difficult when faced with a family gathering.
Tickets £12 - www.sheringhamlittletheatre.com or call 01263 822347
• Twelfth Night - Ditchingham Hall, June 16
Rain or Shine Theatre Company present an al fresco production of the Shakespearean comedy Twelfth Night on the grounds of Ditchingham Hall, in South Norfolk. The picnic performance is rasing money for the Norfolk & Norwich Association for the Blind.
Tickets £13 adults and £6 children - www.ticketweb.co.uk/event/275251 or call 01603 629558.
• Once Upon A Fairytale - St George's Theatre, Great Yarmouth, June 18
An all-singing all-dancing show for all the family featuring fairytale princesses and other characters.
Tickets £8 - www.stgeorgestheatre.com or call 01493 331484
• A Real Alien Adventure - The Garage, Norwich, June 23
Miss Amelia Buttersnap, investigator of all things unseen and mysterious, sets off in her home-made rocket on an a rip-roaring intergalactic journey. Featuring shadow puppetry, magic and audience interaction, it is a family show for people aged three and over.
Tickets £10 (£5 concs) - www.thegarage.org.uk or call 01603 598646
• Nell Gwynn - Maddermarket Theatre, Norwich, June 23-July 1
A raucous comedy about one of the first women to tread the boards – pretty, witty, Nell Gwynn who was also the favourite of Charles II, The show is presented by the Norwich Players.
Tickets £8-£12 - www.maddermarket.co.uk or call 01603 620917
• Cromer Pier Shows - Cromer Pier, June 24-September 23
The Pavilion Theatre's summer spectaculars feature an eclectic blend of pop music, West End ballads, speciality acts and comedians. Show 1 starts on June 24, Show 2 starts on July 8, and a Best of Show 2017 runs from Sept 12 to 23.
Tickets - £12-£25 adults (concs from £10) - www.cromerpier.co.uk or call 01263 512495
• Funny Girl - Norwich Theatre Royal, June 26-July 1
Starring Darius Campbell and Natasha J Barnes, this iconic musical tells the story of Fanny Brice's rise from Brooklyn music hall singer to Broadway star.
Tickets £8-£48.50 - www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call 01603 630000
• Visitors - Assembly House, Norwich, June 27-July 1
Great Hall Theatre Company presents Visitors, written by Barney Norris, a show which looks at the stresses and strains of old age with frankness and humour.
Tickets £10 adults, £7 under 16s - www.greathalltheatre.org.uk or call 01603 598688
For the latest What's On news click here