Things to do in Norfolk: 18 outdoor events not to miss in August 2017
- Credit: Andrew Atterwill, Chris Taylor, Richard Brunton.
It's August - which means it's officially summer. And if you fancy something a little different from trips to the beach, here's 18 outdoor events to get you out of the house and enjoying the sunshine.
1. Compare & Compete! at Pensthorpe Natural Park Wildlife & Nature Event, Saturday July 22 to Tuesday September 5.
The interactive trail is perfect for families looking to discover what wildlife creature they are most like. Measure your height, how much you eat in a day, how far you travel in a day. how high you can jump and your wingspan.
Price: The extra activities for this event are included in the standard admission price. Adults £11.95, concessions £10.95, children £10.95.
2. VW Whitenoise Festival, Thursday August 3 to Sunday August 6, gates open from 10am apart from Sunday when they open at 9am.
You may also want to watch:
Set in the grounds of Euston Hall on the border of Norfolk and Suffolk, this festival is all about motoring and music. A festival with it's own style, on the last day the 'Show n Shine' contest sees hundreds of competitors, with the an array of VWs, battle it out for the the titles of 'Wildest Ride' and 'Best Rod'. DJ Cheeba and tribute, The UK Beach Boys, are heading the line-up.
Price: Family camping pass from £98, Single adult day ticket £15.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 4 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
- 10 Man ran onto train tracks to escape Covid police
3. Wild Swimming Evening, The Canoe Man, Thursday August 3, 13, 27, 6:30pm - 9pm.
Take to the River Bure with a qualified canoe instructor as you swim downstream in the open water. The swim will last two hours in total and is guarenteed to be an invigourating experience.
Price: £25 per adult.
4. Run Norwich, Norwich City Centre, Sunday August 6, 9:30am - 1pm.
Hosted by Run Norwich and Norwich City FC Community Sports Foundation, the 10-kilometre road race takes in a breathtaking view around Norwich's historic city centre. Last year's race attracted 5,000 entries and this year is set to see many more taking on the challenge. Perfect for competitors and spectators alike.
Price: Free to watch.
5. Mods and Rockers, Tuesday Market Place, King's Lynn, Sunday August 6, 10am - 4pm.
For fans of everything two-wheeled, Mods and Rockers will be meeting in King's Lynn for the third year running. There will be live music and food stalls alongside competitions including Best Motorbike, Best British Bike and Best Custom Bike.
Price; Free entry.
6. Jazz in the Courtyard, Holkham Hall, Holkham, Sunday August 6, 1pm - 4pm.
Ideal for relaxing, The Lady Elizabeth Courtyard at Holkham Hall is ideal for relaxing on a summer Sunday afternoon, even more so with phenomenal jazz playing. There will be a bar open and plenty of Pimms.
Price: Free entry.
7. Happisburgh Lifeboat Day and Fete, Happisburgh Lifeboat Station, Sunday August 7, midday - 4pm.
Head down to the lifeboat station to enjoy lifeboat and lifeguard displays, plenty of stalls, live music and a raffle as well as meeting the crew.
Price: Free entry.
8. Punch and Judy at Hunstanton Heritage Gardens Green, Tuesday August 8, 15, 22 and 29, 1pm - 1:30pm and 3pm - 3:30pm.
The traditional puppet show is ideally set in the Hunstanton Heritage Gardens, It's the perfect afternoon entertainment for children of all ages. Price: Free.
9. Classic Ibiza, Blickling Hall, Friday August 11, gates open at 6pm.
#BlicklingdoesIbiza is returning to the beautiful Holkham Hall. It's set to rival the party island with DJ Goldierocks and the Urban Soul Orchestra (USO) playing live. You can take your own picnic (or order a special Carluccio's one) but if you don't fancy packing up your favourite treats, there will be plenty to choose from with many food outlets at Holkham.
Price: Adult ticket £35, £38 on the night, Children (aged 5 –16) £16
10. Alice in Wonderland Strange Fascination Theatre presents: Alice in Wonderland, Bungay Castle, Bungay, Friday August 11 to Saturday August 12, times unconfirmed. Enjoy open air theatre this summer with Strange Fascinations production of Alice in Wonderland. With a cast of only five, they will play multiple parts and promise a magical journey.
Price: Adults £12, Children (under 12) £8, Family (2 adults plus 2 children under 12) £36.
11. Truckfest, Norfolk Showground, Saturday August 19, 9am - 5:30pm.
Truckfest East has a spectacular list of celebrity guests including Ice Road Truckers Lisa Kelly and Todd Dewey. There will be stunt bike displays, monster trucks, vintage and modern trucks and an appearance from this years Love Island stars.
Price: Adult day ticket £14, Child (5 - 15 years) day ticket £6. Family weekend camping ticket £70.
12. San Miguel Picturehouse Pop-Up: Hunt For The Wilderpeople, Plantation Gardens, Norwich, Saturday August 19, 8:15pm - 11pm.
Sit under the stars and enjoy the latest film by director Taika Waititi, whose previous credentials include 'Boy' and 'What We Do In The Shadows', based on Barry Crump's novel 'Wild Pork and Watercress'. In this heartfelt adventure a defiant young city boy ends up on the run with his grumpy foster uncle causing a national manhunt. Outside couldn't be a more perfect place to watch it. Price: Adult ticket £11, Children £6.50.
13. Secret Woodland Party, Norwich, Saturday August 19 to Sunday August 20, 2pm on Saturday and 5pm on Sunday.
With over three bespoke stages, custom sound systems, there is plenty for revellers to enjoy. They will be playing a variety of music including house, techno and grime, although the full lineup will be announced soon.
Price: To be confirmed.
14. Seething Charity Airday, Seething Airfield, Sunday August 20, 10am - 4pm.
Every year thousands flock to Seething Airfield to enjoy aircraft and classic vehicle displays, including a performance by the Wildcat Aerobatics. There will be local craft and charity stands, rides for children and plenty of refreshments. Price: Free entry.
15. Wind in the Willows, Holkham Hall, Wednesday August 23, 5:45pm.
Fun for all the family, in the beautiful walled garden of Holkham Hall, enjoy a picnic and relax as a fantastic cast take on the classic Wind in the Willows. Travel with Ratty, Badger and Toad as they embark on an adventure to save Toad Hall.
Price: Adult £14, Child £10.
16. Prosecco & Percussion Festival, Norwich, Sunday August 27, 12pm - 3pm. Selling itself as the first and only dedicated prosecco festival it's a dream come true for all prosecco fans. There will be live music and a bar stocked with 20 different types of Prosecco.
Price: Yet to be confirmed.
17. Grand Norwich Duck Race 2017, Ribs of Beef, Norwich, Sunday August 27, 12pm - 4pm.
Fun for all the family, in it's sixth year the Grand Norwich Duck Race is set to draw in the crowds. The Ribs of Beef work alongside The Broads Authority and Norfolk Paddle Company to help 2,000 little ducks and more than 100 large ducks make their way down the river. The fun will continue with cake stalls, ice creams, face painting and games.
Price: Free entry.
18. Aylsham Show, Blickling Estate, Monday August 28, 8am - 8pm. One of the best agricultural shows our region has to offer will once again return over the bank holiday weekend. Entertainment includes the Red Devils Parachute Display Team and The Battle of Britain Flypast. Plus animal displays, a fun fair and plenty of yummy local food.
Price: £15 per person on the day. Children under 16 are free.
For all the latest what's on news, click here.