Thetford’s Great Festival to show town’s heritage and artistic talent
- Credit: Archant
A two-week extravaganza of art, dance, music, history and more is getting under way tonight at Thetford's Great Festival.
Now in its seventh year, the festival's packed programme will see more than 60 events across the town and surrounding area until September 4.
Kicking off with the Shadwell Colouring competition – which sees local schools decorate a moon-gazing hare – everything from Shakespeare to a barn dance will draw in the crowds.
Organised by Thetford Town Council, its highlights include an outdoor performance of A Midsummer Night's Dream in the grounds of Lynford Hall on August 25, a show from the Honington Voluntary Band at the Carnegie on September 2, and a 40s and 50s Garden Party at King's House on September 4.
A number of family events is also on the programme, including a family fun day at the Black Horse on August 28 and the Ancient House Museum's Discovery Day – Vicious Vikings, on August 31.
You may also want to watch:
Tina Cunnell, acting town clerk, said the festival was a chance for the community to come together.
Not only is the schedule packed, but most events are free to attend.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 9 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 10 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
Tickets still on sale can be bought from Leaping Hare by calling 01842 751975 or 07802 701911.
You can also visit www.thetfordsgreatfestival.org