The Jay Singers celebrate a decade
TONY COOPER The Jay Singers celebrate their 10th anniversary this Saturday, April 8, with a birthday concert in St Peter Mancroft Church, Norwich. It features guest narrator/actor Charles Roberts, the former theatre and arts critic of the EDP, who’s returning from his home in France specially to take part in the concert.
The Jay Singers - under the direction of Jeremy Jackman, a former member of the renowned King's Singers - celebrate their 10th anniversary this Saturday, April 8, with a birthday concert in St Peter Mancroft Church, Norwich, at 7.30pm.
The choir will perform the work it commissioned from Mr Jackman in 2000 entitled Sea Tongue, and based on a text by Kevin Crossley-Holland. It features guest narrator/actor Charles Roberts, the former theatre and arts critic of the Eastern Daily Press, who's returning from his home in France specially to take part in the concert.
Other treats will include a collection of unaccompanied music spanning several generations and genres opening with a performance of Lassus' Musica Dei Donum Optimi (music, gift of the supreme god) and closes with a contemporary setting of the same piece by Mr Jackman.
You may also want to watch:
There's the opportunity to hear many styles, ranging from African folksongs (such as Hamba Lulu) to a selection from Rachmaninov's All Night Vigil (Vespers).
The choir has built up a loyal following since its inception in 1996 and is known for its lively and varied programming.
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 7 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 8 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 9 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 10 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire
Tickets range from £5.50 to £11 at the door or from Elkin Music, 31 Exchange Street, Norwich; telephone 01603 666332.