Suffolk stuntwoman goes for glory in The Great British Bake Off final
- Credit: Archant
The Bake Off final is upon us and the remaining bakers will be aiming for perfection and glory... and possibly a career in the media.
Now we are down to the final three (look away now if you don't want to know who they are): Steven, Kate and Sophie. Stacey left the tent in last week's semi final although it was a close run thing as Steven came a bit of a cropper too.
I couldn't help wondering if they get someone in to clean the ovens after every episode. Having just had my oven cleaned for the first time and having experienced something of a epiphany ? it looked almost new again ? I can't help admiring the interiors of the Bake Off ovens. It must be lovely to always have a sparkling appliance.
Also sparkling have been new judge Prue Leith, and hosts Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding. I was fully prepared not to like any of them but have been won round... even by Noel who has delivered some pretty fair one-liners. Of course, we still love Mel and Sue and Mary Berry but we have moved on.
The first task of the final is to prepare a batch of loaves, followed by a biscuit bake, and finishing with a multi-layered, high-end patisserie showstopper.
You may also want to watch:
What do we know about the finalists?
Sophie is a psychology graduate, a former Royal Artillery officer and a trainee stuntwoman. She found out she could bake after volunteering to make a friend's birthday cake. When not baking, she enjoys track cycling, rowing and teaching military boot camps. Crumbs... not literally.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 8 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 9 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
- 10 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
Steven was taught the basics of baking by his mother and now cooks and bakes everything he eats. He has a background in marketing but is considering giving it up to focus on baking full-time. He makes everything he eats? I'm tired just thinking about it.
Kate is a health and safety inspector, a blacksmith, a furniture restorer and a yoga enthusiast. And a self-taught baker with a passion for old-fashioned techniques. I have a soft spot for Kate (and I'm not talking about soggy bottoms) because of the accent. I like a Liverpudlian lilt.
Who will win?
The evidence of previous finals suggests it's going to be close ? but tasty.
• The Great British Bake Off: Channel 4, 8pm