The Arlenes, Norwich
MARK NICHOLLS The Arlenes brought their definitive brand of hard-edged country music to the city.
The Arlenes brought their definitive brand of hard-edged country music to Norwich Arts Centre.
Fronted by Big Steve Pulford and his American-born wife Stephanie, The Arlenes are fast creating a reputation for country music of the finest pedigree. Bittersweet vocals, marvellous harmonies and powerful rock guitar riffs underpin many of the songs.
The show started at a leisurely pace with She Runs Me Down and the superb song title Old Brown Shoes before Doctor Love picked up the tempo. For Big Steve, Norwich was effectively a hometown gig and brought to a close a hugely successful short tour of the UK for The Arlenes.
Already renowned for their fine debut album Stuck On Love and incidental music for the TV series Border Café and Being April, The Arlenes are acquiring a growing band of admirers – among them, radio DJs Bob Harris, Johnny Walker and Jonathan Ross.
Big Steve's talents as a songwriter deserve a wider audience, especially when delivered through the beautiful voice of his wife.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
Last night's performance rounded off by the delightful Springboard was a joy to experience. Listen out for more from The Arlenes in the future – it will be worth waiting for.