Take a walk on the wild side at Pensthorpe’s annual environmental day
- Credit: IAN BURT
Budding environmentalists and nature enthusiasts are invited to Pensthorpe Natural Park on Saturday to get stuck in and help protect the Wensum Valley at its annual Wild About the Wensum environmental day.
The free fun filled educational event will provide an in-depth insight into the rich wildlife in the Wensum River Valley, which is designated as a Special Area of Conservation, one of Europe's highest protection orders.
In addition to organised walks and talks the event will be full of family-friendly activities including archery, bike tours, treasure hunts and creative crafts such as badge making and candle rolling.
Bill Jordan, trustee of the Pensthorpe Conservation Trust based at the park said: 'What better way to increase the awareness of this nationally important river valley than holding an event which allows visitors to meet those involved in managing the fauna and flora of the Valley? It's not just the adults we're appealing to as we educate future generations about the natural habitat through interactive hands-on activities.
'We hope that spreading awareness of this special area will enable us to look after it for many years to come.'
The Wensum Valley supports a diverse and ecologically important range of species such as water voles, white-clawed crayfish, brown trout and otters. The event runs between 10am and 5pm this Saturday.
* Admission to Pensthorpe and the event is free on the day, with a nominal £4 parking charge per vehicle to help make it financially sustainable and to encourage car sharing.
- 1 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 4 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 5 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 8 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 9 Virus expert says Omicron is 'unstoppable' and backs 'Plan B' rules
- 10 Police called after illegally parked delivery driver blocks bus routes
* WildRootz will be open on the day but there will be a time restriction in place so that more families can enjoy the activities.
* For more information, call Pensthorpe on 01328 851465, visit www.pensthorpe.com or follow on Twitter @Pensthorpe.