Sundown Review: Ria Richie
The Lowestoft 20-something held her audience captivated in her second performance at the Sundown festival.
Before starting, she admitted that she was slightly nervous in her first performance with a live band. Last year she did an acoustic set, featuring covers that she had posted on YouTube. From her 11 million hits on the social networking site, East London rapper and singer song-writer Plan B hand-picked her to write some material for him, which has led to a collaboration and friendship which has lasted three years.
Kicking off her set at Sundown with last year's single 'Only One' Richie wowed the audience by playing and singing. The singer, managed by another of Norwich's Access to Music academy's students, Takeover Entertainment, has a four octave range. On Saturday she was on top form, her voice and music a mix of old blues, new rhythm and a huge amount of heart and soul.
It made an older listener extremely gleeful to hear her upbeat cover of a nineties classic, as she belted out CeCe Penistone's club hit 'Finally', the song which was classified as the cheesy pop genre even in the 1990s was given a modern and more soulful twist, which would leave a smile on the most miserable of faces.
She followed up by singing a smattering of newer songs from her newly released EP - Wrong Side Of Paradise. Some of the lyrics poetic and deep in nature, but given a pop twist. Sun drenched revellers responded with a buzz to Richie's enthusiasm and obvious love for the festival and her audience.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 7 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 8 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel