Blickling Hall announces turbo-charged guest at Great British Prom
- Credit: Archant
As the deadline closes in to buy early bird tickets for the Great British Prom this summer, the team at the Blickling Hall event have made another huge announcement about the line up.
Organisers have confirmed that a Spitfire will be flying over the crowds on the evening of Saturday, August 11, to celebrate 100 years of the RAF.
Organiser, Lisa Ward said: 'There's a huge, national respect for the RAF and Norfolk has played an important part in its history. The 2018 event is going to be very special; not just because we're celebrating the RAF centenary, but also because we will be seeing the return of a Spitfire to the programme which is always incredibly emotional.
'This time, it will be the Rolls-Royce Spitfire, flown by one of the Rolls Royce test pilots, (subject to CAA approvals); we're very excited about this addition to the 2018 programme and we will have another big announcement to make shortly – watch this space!'
The Rolls-Royce Spitfire PS853, which will be appearing at Blickling, is an unarmed, high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, one of a batch of 79 Mk XIXs built at Supermarine, Southampton.
The musical programme for the evening will be a celebration of 'those magnificent men in their flying machines'.
The National Symphony Orchestra, whose international reputation for excellence puts them in the top 4 orchestras in the UK, will be conducted by world-renowned Anthony Inglis, and music will include William Walton's 'Spitfire Prelude and Fugue' and Eric Coates's 'Dambusters March'.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 7 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 6 ice rinks to visit in Norfolk and Suffolk this Christmas
- 10 Norfolk Labour website tells people not to vote for party
The evening will also be packed with performances of Proms favourites, including 'Rule Britannia', 'Land of Hope & Glory' and British anthem 'Jerusalem', closing with a spectacular firework display over the lake choreographed to the music.
Parking at the event is free for both coaches and cars, and guests are invited to bring their own food and drink.
A magnum of champagne is also up for grabs for the winner of the best fancy dress costume.
A limited number of early bird tickets are still available at a reduced price of £32.50 (£37.50 thereafter). For full event details and tickets visit www.greatbritishprom.co.uk or call the event box office on 01283 841601.