Sons and Lovers comes to the stage of Sewell Barn Theatre in Norwich this week
The Sewell Barn Theatre in Norwich is poised to open its doors for its latest production, Sons and Lovers, this week.
Thursday will see the Constitution Hill theatre's opening night of D.H. Lawrence's 1913 novel adapted for the stage and directed by Roger Parsley.
Roger has based the play on the latter third of the book which explores the relationship of the central character, Paul Morel, with his controlling mother, as well as his uneasy exchanges with his coal-miner father, and his tumultuous love-life. The novel is considered by many to be Lawrence's best work and is largely autobiographical.
Roger said: 'The characterisations are growing well – more rounded with each rehearsal. It's a piece which demands a strong anchoring in the psychological journey of each individual we introduce on stage –and the cast are well on the journey.'
This Sewell Barn production is given a simple but effective setting by Gemma Goodwin, with atmosphere added by the lighting and sound design.
Roger said that he was looking forward to the staging of the production and also added: 'All have worked hard, and put up with my ways of working – what more can I ask?
'One is never sure exactly how any particular audience will react, but that's the excitement and uncertainty that makes live theatre the great experience that it is. They [the audience] will see fascinating characters who will hopefully draw them into the action – the Barn space being particularly good for that kind of focus.'
- 1 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 2 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 5 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 6 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 7 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 8 Arrive by boat at new Norfolk wedding venue
- 9 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 10 £1,000 reward offered to anyone who can help bring home missing dog
Sons and Lovers runs from Thursday to Saturday this week and Wednesday to Saturday next week, February 29 to March 3, with a matinee also on the Saturday, at 2.30pm.
Tickets can be bought from customer services in the Jarrold store in Norwich, on London Street, or by calling 01603 697248. Visit www.sewellbarn.org for more information.
Are you organising a community event? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com