Soapbox derby on course to return to Cromer for a third year
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
It was only introduced to the Cromer Carnival in 2015. But it has already established itself as one of the highlights of the summer festivities.
The Soapbox Derby is on course to return for a third year on Sunday, August 6. However, the closing date for entries is July 29.
This year's event is sponsored by the Westerleigh Group - the company which run the town's new crematorium.
Looking forward to this year's event, Carnival chairman Tony Shipp said: 'We are excited about the way this year's event is shaping up. We have retained last year's higher jump and will be extending the landing ramp so that the carts that fly from the top of the ramp have a better chance of hitting the landing area, thus giving an even faster and of course smoother landing.
'The start ramp is the same as last year with the usual tight chicane to allow the drivers to show their skills on the way to the finish line.' And he added: 'I am delighted to have the support of the Westerleigh Group as new sponsor to Cromer Carnival.'
You may also want to watch:
The competition is split into three age groups - 10 to 15 years, 16 to 18 years and 19 years and over.
Among the prizes up for grabs is the Malcolm McGreadie Cup for the fastest driver.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 7 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 8 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 9 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 10 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
Scrutineering for the event opens at 11.30am with the first cart away at 2pm.
Entry forms are available on the Carnival's website - www.cromercarnival.co.uk