Sheringham art exhibition marking the year’s longest night
- Credit: Archant
North Norfolk artists and musicians will have a chance to showcase their work at a exhibition celebrating the longest night of the year this weekend.
Organised by IT consultant-turned-artist James Long, the event at Sheringham Oddfellows Hall on Sunday December 21 will feature prints and paintings, as well as sculpture and photography, with music provided by folk musician Paul Thompson and singer songwriter Benjie Smith.
West Runton-born Mr Long, who returned to north Norfolk six months ago after a two-year stint in Australia, takes inspiration for his work from the 'hidden' parts of the county, including the woodland surrounding his home at the entrance to Sheringham Park.
Subjects range from Elm Hill in Norwich and Blakeney Guildhall, to Baconsthorpe Castle and Sheringham Park folly.
'I try to paint a different side of Norfolk and to capture the atmosphere and architecture of the inner areas, rather than the coastline,' Mr Long explained.
Keen to give other local artists a chance to get together and display their work – and to 'brighten up' the shortest day of the year - he decided to organise a free event celebrating the winter solstice.
'Sunday is the longest night of the year,' Mr Long said. 'So I thought it would be nice to have a bit of art and music and, for me, it is almost a celebration of the wonderful British weather and being back in Norfolk.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 5 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 6 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 7 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 8 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 9 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 10 Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge
The winter solstice music and art showcase is at Oddfellows Hall, on Lifeboat Plain, on Sunday from 5-8pm. Admission is free.