Shakespeare’s classic farce The Comedy of Errors to be performed at Norwich Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
Shakespeare's most hilarious farce is set to be performed in the hallowed surrounds of Norwich's Cathedral's cloisters.
The Lord Chamberlain's Men's production of The Comedy of Errors tells the tale of two pairs of identical twins and their servants, who were separated at birth and years later find themselves in the same city on the same day.
The performance is billed as Shakespeare as it would have been - with an all-male cast, in the open air and in full Elizabethan costume with traditional music and dance.
Peter Stickney, artistic director said: 'This hilarious summer comedy is a complete joy, but with Shakespeare it's never that simple. He elevates what could just be a story of mistaken identity to new levels with questions about relationships, family and personal identity so that alongside the confusing and hilarious circumstances, the characters are dealing with bigger questions of love and loss before, ultimately, redemption.'
The show is making a tour of castles, cathedrals and stately homes across the country.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stickney said: 'I can't think of anything more perfect for a summer's evening than a classical retelling of this great play set against the background of some of the nation's most beautiful outdoor venues.'
Performances take place on Friday, July 14 and Saturday, July 15, from 7.30pm. Tickets are £20, concessions £18 from 01603 630000 or through the cathedral website.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules