Seven 007 links between James Bond and our region
- Credit: Outnow.ch/Columbia Pictures
As the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra prepares to take to the stage with the music of James Bond this weekend, Emma Knights looks at seven 007 links to our region.
From Goldfinger to Casino Royale - theme songs from classic James Bond films will take centre stage on Saturday nightin the second of three outdoor concerts at Taverham Hall, near Norwich, this weekend.
It will be a case of shaken not stirred as the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and guest vocalists bring the hits to the stage in an event brought to the county by Norwich-based promoters Outside Live who are also hosting Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra at the venue on Friday and country act The Shires on Sunday.
Ahead of the concert celebrating the music linked to Britain's most famous secret agent, here are some Norfolk and Suffolk links to the James Bond movies.
• The Lotus Esprit, which was designed at the car company's Norfolk headquarters, was used in the 1976 film The Spy Who Loved Me. Lotus stunt driver and test driver Roger Becker actually drove it in the hit movie.
You may also want to watch:
• The late Wing Cmdr Ken Wallis, who lived in Reymerston, had one of his autogyros used in the 1967 film You Only Live Twice. He flew it in the film as Sean Connery's stunt double.
• When James Bond creator Ian Fleming was trying to think of a name for a villain in his books while sitting in a London gentleman's club, he thought he would use the surname of the next person who came in. That is believed to be a Mr Blofeld, related to Norfolk-based cricket commentator Henry Blofeld
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
and Bewilderwood owner Tom Blofeld.
• Sir Roger Moore made one of his final public appearances at Norwich Theatre Royal in November 2016 when he shared Bond stories and showbiz anecdotes in an on-stage interview.
• Suffolk-based Spirit Yachts designed and built the yacht in which Daniel Craig sailed into Venice during the film Casino Royale.
• Shrublands Hall, near Ipswich, was featured in Never Say Never Again. It was the location where Bond was sent to get back in shape.
• Mollie Peters, the Bond girl who seduced Sean Connery in Thunderball, lived in Ipswich.
The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra will perform The Music of Bond at Taverham Hall, near Norwich, on Saturday. Gates open at 6pm.
For more information about tickets prices and how to book, visit www.outsidelive.co.uk or call the box office on 01603 310999.