Search is on for actors to star in Norwich production looking at sexual identity
- Credit: supplied by Norwich Theatre Royal
Actors are needed to feature in a new production looking at sexual identity which will be performed at Norwich Theatre Royal's new Stage Two venue.
Safe explores the stories of four very different people who share a common bond in wanting people to respect and care for them whatever their sexuality and background. It is due to be performed on September 28 and 29 as part of Stage Two's Creative Matters season which aims to bring gender and sexual identity into sharp focus.
Penned by Alexis Gregory, Safe is based on real-life stories gathered by the Albert Kennedy Trust, a charity which supports homeless and at-risk LGBT youth.
The production team is looking to cast actors to play five characters who are all aged 16 to mid-twenties. They are: Jack, a young trans man who identifies as gay, is boyish, and full of quiet strength and determination; Tami, a young trans woman who is streetwise and tough but also vulnerable and glamorous; Samuel, a young black Nigerian-born man who is intelligent, charming, funny and full of energy; Alicia, a young gay female who is eloquent, mature and finding herself; and The Singer who has an edgy, real and raw voice. Expenses will be paid for all the performers.
Playwright Alexis Gregory will direct the show but an assistant director is also needed and will be paid £1,000.
You may also want to watch:
Wendy Ellis, learning and participation director for Stage Two, said: 'Both poignant and perceptive, Safe depicts the reality facing many young people who are trying to answer questions about aspects of their own identity and where they belong. When those questions become intense, especially if set against a background of poor personal stability or addiction, things can become overwhelming and it is this personal battle which is chronicled in this play.'
• Safe is at Stage Two at on Thursday, September 28 at 6.30pm and Friday, September 29 at 8pm. Tickets £12 (£10 concs). It is suitable for people aged 16 and over.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 4 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 7 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 8 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 9 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 10 Norfolk scenes cut from Netflix's Sutton Hoo film The Dig
• To apply to be a part of Safe, send your CV (with a head-shot if applying for an acting role) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Rachel Lloyd, Learning and Participation Officer, Stage Two, Norwich Theatre Royal, Theatre Street, Norwich, NR2 1RL, by 5pm on August 25.