Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts in Norwich unveils its revamp
The first stage of a four-year revamp of the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts has been unveiled.
The centre, based at the University of East Anglia, is seeing its world renowned collections, exhibitions and building undergo a series of developments – which has begun with the transformation of the west end of architect Lord Norman Foster's building.
The centre's doors opened today to reveal a new exhibition programme, a post-graduate study centre, a sculpture garden and a new restaurant and bar.
The theme of the entire first phase of development is 'The Modern', as Lord Foster's building is widely considered one of the most important late Modern buildings in Europe.
The centre's director, Professor Paul Greenhalgh, said: 'The Sainsbury Centre has always been known as one of the country's great centres for scholarship in the visual arts, anthropology and archaeology, and the use of our collections and libraries by researchers from all over the world is one of our main roles.
You may also want to watch:
'But we have some of the greatest works of art imaginable in our building, as well as an extraordinary environment, inside Norman Foster's masterpiece.
'We want to share all of this more with the public at large. What better way to do that than to create new vibrant galleries with a superb restaurant facility?'
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
Are you organising a major event in Norwich? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com