Review: Strut and Fret, Cantina, Speigeltent
For a show that mixes the macabre with the masochistic, and the porcelain whiteness of elastic limbs with the stiletto, there are few challengers – if any – to the amazing Strut and Fret production Cantina.
Set in the atmospheric Spiegeltent in Chapelfield Gardens, Norwich, Cantina mixes passion and violence with stunning feats of strength and stamina.
It is a show where you will see mock fights and acrobatics, powerlifting of the fellow human being and a double-jointed contortionist who will simply take your breath away with her poise, balance and courage.
With a backdrop of haunting melodies, cheeky ukulele and occasional male nudity, this is a masterpiece of theatrical art.
There are moments to make the audience wince – the enforced pain of the near naked torso of a male character being literally walked all over by his female counterpart in sharp-heeled stilletos, for example, or standing barefoot on a tray of broken glass while supporting the weight of another character.
You may also want to watch:
But there are also the moments too where the audience will gasp in amazement.
It is also, possibly, the only time that you will ever see someone walk a tightrope in stiletto heeled shoes.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
A fabulous curtain-raiser to the festival, no wonder this is one of the hottest festival tickets in town.
• NNF11 runs from May 6 to 21. You can book online at www.nnfestvial.org.uk/nnf11, by phone on 01603 766400 or at the Norwich Theatre Royal box office