Review: Stormy: The Life of Lena Horne at Norwich Playhouse
- Credit: Archant
Way back in the sixties, when I was barely out of short trousers, I had the great fortune, aided by the wisdom of a long-gone jazz friend, to go and see Lena Horne at Ronnie Scott's.
She was on one of her stunning tours. It was a glorious exciting evening, burned into my teenaged memory, with her pushing singing to the very edge of possibility. When, some years later, she was summoned to meet her maker, I thought that was the end.
Move on via fast-forward to May 2017 and this reviewer is now with friends at the Norwich Playhouse watching Stormy: The Life of Lena Horne and, crumbs, the long passed-on diva is there on the stage once more, vibrant dramatic, exciting and alive!
That was the startling and wonderful skill of Camilla Beeput, who recreated Lena in what would now be her centenary year. Camilla's magical voice, supported by the supreme skill of her superb, tight yet sensitive five piece band, created an atmosphere that again brought tears to my eyes. This truly was a wonderful evocation of one of the greatest jazz singing stars we have ever seen.
If you ever get a chance to see Camilla Beeput, do not miss it, for she offers a supreme reminder of one of the finest jazz singers you will ever hear; she also adds truly dramatic style to her supreme stage presence. This magnificent performer made this a glorious and memorable evening.
You may also want to watch:
For more Norfolk and Norwich Festival stories click here
For a full list of Norfolk and Norwich Festival events click here
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 9 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us