Review: Steve Hughes
Former rock guitarist Steve Hughes bring his timewarp comedy to Norwich Playhouse.
Steve Hughes opened his set at Norwich Playhouse tonight with a joke about the length of the flight between his native Australia and the UK.
Judging by most of his material, that journey may have lasted years rather than hours.
We were treated to such hoary old chestnuts as crazy health and safety rules, political correctness and the complications of buying a cup of coffee in a modern cafe.
As the gig progressed we zipped back further in time, as Steve explained the folly of children's rights, disabled rights, gay rights and women's rights (breasts are, it seems, an unarguable bar to a career). All these are apparently part of some arch-conspiracy to enable 'them' to control society and prevent us exploring our 'inner space' while scientists and experts explore outer space.
You may also want to watch:
I can only assume that logic is down to the other cliched part of Steve's act: the celebration of drugs. Hardly a imaginative stretch for someone who has spent time in the music industry, and something that has left him using the word 'transdimensional' rather too frequently.
Steve's act is (il)liberally peppered with swearing, not something I generally have a problem with in comedy but I do take exception when it becomes a substitute for a proper punchline: yes, American foreign policy has been regrettable in recent years but calling them rude names doesn't constitute a joke.
- 1 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 2 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 3 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 4 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 5 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 6 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 7 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
- 8 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
If this was supposed to be biting social commentary, it felt more like the misguided rantings of someone who had forgotten to put their dentures in.
Steve Hughes returns to Norwich Playhouse for a second show at 8pm on Thursday, March 1.