Review: Steve Hughes
Former rock guitarist Steve Hughes bring his timewarp comedy to Norwich Playhouse.
Steve Hughes opened his set at Norwich Playhouse tonight with a joke about the length of the flight between his native Australia and the UK.
Judging by most of his material, that journey may have lasted years rather than hours.
We were treated to such hoary old chestnuts as crazy health and safety rules, political correctness and the complications of buying a cup of coffee in a modern cafe.
As the gig progressed we zipped back further in time, as Steve explained the folly of children's rights, disabled rights, gay rights and women's rights (breasts are, it seems, an unarguable bar to a career). All these are apparently part of some arch-conspiracy to enable 'them' to control society and prevent us exploring our 'inner space' while scientists and experts explore outer space.
You may also want to watch:
I can only assume that logic is down to the other cliched part of Steve's act: the celebration of drugs. Hardly a imaginative stretch for someone who has spent time in the music industry, and something that has left him using the word 'transdimensional' rather too frequently.
Steve's act is (il)liberally peppered with swearing, not something I generally have a problem with in comedy but I do take exception when it becomes a substitute for a proper punchline: yes, American foreign policy has been regrettable in recent years but calling them rude names doesn't constitute a joke.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 3 North Norfolk farmer who grew potatoes for Walkers crisps dies aged 92
- 4 Drivers ‘lucky to walk away’ as cars overturn
- 5 What each lockdown tier could mean for Norfolk
- 6 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 7 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 8 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 9 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 10 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
If this was supposed to be biting social commentary, it felt more like the misguided rantings of someone who had forgotten to put their dentures in.
Steve Hughes returns to Norwich Playhouse for a second show at 8pm on Thursday, March 1.