Review: Steve Hughes
Former rock guitarist Steve Hughes bring his timewarp comedy to Norwich Playhouse.
Steve Hughes opened his set at Norwich Playhouse tonight with a joke about the length of the flight between his native Australia and the UK.
Judging by most of his material, that journey may have lasted years rather than hours.
We were treated to such hoary old chestnuts as crazy health and safety rules, political correctness and the complications of buying a cup of coffee in a modern cafe.
As the gig progressed we zipped back further in time, as Steve explained the folly of children's rights, disabled rights, gay rights and women's rights (breasts are, it seems, an unarguable bar to a career). All these are apparently part of some arch-conspiracy to enable 'them' to control society and prevent us exploring our 'inner space' while scientists and experts explore outer space.
I can only assume that logic is down to the other cliched part of Steve's act: the celebration of drugs. Hardly a imaginative stretch for someone who has spent time in the music industry, and something that has left him using the word 'transdimensional' rather too frequently.
Steve's act is (il)liberally peppered with swearing, not something I generally have a problem with in comedy but I do take exception when it becomes a substitute for a proper punchline: yes, American foreign policy has been regrettable in recent years but calling them rude names doesn't constitute a joke.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 3 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 7 Pressure waves of Hunga Tonga volcanic eruption felt across East Anglia
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 10 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
If this was supposed to be biting social commentary, it felt more like the misguided rantings of someone who had forgotten to put their dentures in.
Steve Hughes returns to Norwich Playhouse for a second show at 8pm on Thursday, March 1.