Review: Somewhat faded Cotton Club
- Credit: Archant
This celebrated New York jazz venue, the Cotton Club, at its height back in the thirties and forties, was rather unfortunately renowned for the racial aspect of being a troupe of brilliant black musicians and dancers, putting on an energetic and highly skilled show for a totally white audience.
This sad historical dichotomy was beautifully and sensitively presented in the Cotton Club show at Norwich Playhouse, with a wonderful team of skilled, hardworking and professional performers.
The energy levels, quality of dancing and singing were all more than acceptable. The music from a skilled small group of players was spot-on, but an overall limited ensemble sparkle, drive and precision made this show just a little less than perfect.
One of the most difficult factors to handle as a reviewer is any level of disappointment in a show. This is especially difficult when the performers have worked so hard to achieve a fine standard but the overall performance does not quite hit the heights that it should.
Sadly but, happily rarely, have I had to be negative in my reviews, but the Cotton Club event at the Norwich Playhouse seemed to be just a little tired.
You may also want to watch:
My partner and I at the event enjoyed the show, yet found that afterwards in our discussion, we both agreed that it could have been just a little more energetic, polished and, perhaps, needed a little dash more of that mysterious added ingredient of magic.
The audience seemed to love the energy but sadly I could only award this performance perhaps nine out of ten.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 7 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 8 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 9 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 10 Paddy Davitt verdict: The end game is upon us
Sat, April 8
Swinging at the Cotton Club