Review: Sister Act at Norwich Theatre Royal
- Credit: �Tristram Kenton
Sister Act is back at Norwich Theatre Royal – hallelujah.
One of the most successful big screen to stage transfers in recent years, based on the 1992 movie starring Whoopi Goldberg, Strictly judge Craig Revel Horwood directs and, predictably, the show is fab-u-lous.
X Factor breakout star Alexandra Burke – returning to Norwich Theatre Royal following a star turn in The Bodyguard last year – heads the cast.
Burke steps into Whoopi Goldberg's habit as disco diva Deloris Van Cartier and her performance is pitch perfect.
When the singer witnesses her club owner boyfriend Curtis (Aaron Lee Lambert) carry out a murder, the police hide her in a convent, where she and the sisters bond in song.
You may also want to watch:
This is a feelgood show which has it all – drama, comedy, a bit of romance and glitterballs. Just heavenly.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 9 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 10 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
Sister Act is at Norwich Theatre Royal until Saturday, May 6. 01603 630000/ www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk