Review: Lady Rizo
- Credit: Archant
From the moment she slid from the shadows at the back of Holt's Auden Theatre and into the laps of the waiting audience, Lady Rizo had her crowd captivated.
Singing her way onto the stage while she tousled the hair of audience members, the glamorous diva glided into the spotlight and effortlessly took command of the room - introducing us to her saucy show rules and striking up some enthusiastic crowd participation.
The New York cabaret superstar, a highlight of this year's Holt Festival programme, prompted peels of laughter as she described Norfolk in her own inimitable style, flirted liberally with the crowd and indulged in a hilarious on-stage costume change.
As she took to the smoky stage on Tuesday night she asked if we felt good. 'You're going to feel better,' she promised.
For an hour and a half she dazzled us with her sharp wit, glittering jewels and slinky vocals.
Mixing jazzy covers of Jimi Hendrix, the Carpenters and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory soundtrack with her own original material, the brassy blonde beguiled us with her sassy singing, while her unique comedy and theatrical stylings involved everyone in the theatre, including her three piece band and 'cute' assistant Brendan.
The front row received red roses in unique exchanges and she conducted the entire crowd in a sing-along.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 4 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 5 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 6 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 7 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 8 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
- 9 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 10 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
Combined with her polished performances, glorious gowns and sharp humour Lady Rizo produced a truly one of a kind show.
And she kept her promise. I laughed, listened, sang, smiled and left feeling fabulous.