Review: Kylie Minogue brings extra glamour to races at Newmarket Nights
- Credit: John Hoy
An elegant night at the races was given an extra touch of sparkle, glitz and glamour when Kylie launched the first of this year's Newmarket Nights.
The original pop princess wowed the sold-out crowd last night, providing a spectacular finish to the afternoon of racing.
She emerged from her bevy of acrobatic dancers in a red leopard print jumpsuit and set the energetic pace immediately with Better The Devil You Know – the first of many classics from her vast back catalogue.
Colour, fun and dancing was the theme throughout her hour and a half set, which featured four costume changes, plenty of chatter and a crowd sing-along to 2001 smash Can't Get You Outta My Head.
Her fail-safe combination of catchy tunes, impressive choreography and eye catching costumes got the whole crowd going, from pop-mad youngsters to high-heeled ladies and blazer wearing chaps.
The high octane hits kept coming as she changed into a glittering red mini dress and thigh high boots to storm through Spinning Around, Step Back In Time and On A Night Like This.
The tempo was brought down with a performance of Bette Davis Eyes – with Kylie telling the crowd it was of her favourite hits growing up – and got sultry with her seductive chart topper Slow.
- 1 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 4 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 5 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 6 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 7 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 8 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
- 9 Virus expert says Omicron is 'unstoppable' and backs 'Plan B' rules
- 10 Police called after illegally parked delivery driver blocks bus routes
Name checking her well dressed crowd she asked the ladies how they were coping in their heels before cranking the energy back up with old time favourite Locomotion, which got a jazzy, musical-style make over. But it was Kids – her duet with Robbie Williams – that saw the crowd really explode into fine voice as they sang along to the rousing chorus.
The petite pop star donned a gold outfit for the penultimate part of the set, which included 90s hit Celebration featuring a huge disco ball that transformed the racecourse into a glittering dance floor.
And after one final costume change – into a slinky black number – she rounded off the night with an encore performance of 2014's Into The Blue.
Proving her standing as pop's favourite princess Kylie's energetic, feel good set did not disappoint and provided an excellent start to the run of shows at the Suffolk racecourse.
Newmarket Nights continues until August 29 with stars including Sir Tom Jones, McBusted and Spandau Ballet.