Review: Katherine Ryan
- Credit: Submitted
If only every comedian was as acerbic, smart and downright funny as Katherine Ryan.
The Canadian comic had the first of two sell-out Norwich Playhouse audiences enthralled from start to end of a breathless, energetic and entertaining set that took in celebrity spats, the class system, terrorism and topless modelling without you ever noticing the join.
Many performers struggle to deliver a coherent set, ending up with either a battery of one liners or anecdotes joined by weak segues. Not Ryan. She has a chatty conversation style that reels you in, even if it is occasionally punctured by some riotously shouty swearing - but if you don't get angry about Justin Bieber, you're probably missing a pulse.
There is the celebrity froth she's famous for (the perils of touring the same venues as Peter Andre and Twitter tussles with Tulisa fans) but there are also some surprisingly raw and personal moments. These could be uncomfortable, but it is a measure of Ryan's skills as a performer that these feel naturally shared secrets.
Elsewhere Prince Phillip is cited as a reassuring still point of reliable casual racism in an ever changing world, and her home country's uniquely innocent response to terrorism (threat level: beige) is celebrated too.
You may also want to watch:
Ryan is a top notch performer: working her routine or off script, dealing with traditional topics or the taboo. Her show is called Glam Role Model - other comics should definitely be aspiring to her success.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 6 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland