Review: Jack Dee at Norwich Theatre Royal
What do you give the comic who has everything? A foot spa apparently - and while Jack Dee's wife's plan to get him standing in a bucket of water plugged into the mains went down like a lead balloon, the comedian's set went down a storm at the Theatre Royal.
Sunday's sell out gig saw Dee on familiar form: grumpy, cynical and misanthropic. But behind the attitude there's always a glint of joy, and it's that delicate balance and the sense of being in on the joke that makes him so enjoyable to watch.
Ranging widely from Jesus as a teenager to the irritatingly chummy tone of modern food labelling, Dee delivered a nicely-paced two hour set that kept the audience laughing. The perils of giving directions to lost tourists and the etiquette of mis-delivered post also came in for some unlikely humorous treatment.
Perhaps the highlight was the surprisingly musical encore, with Dee playing guitar and - kind of - singing as he charted a series of his failed careers prior to becoming a comic. He also does a mean cat impression.
There were a few topical nods (Jimmy Savile and mis-behaving maths teachers got a few mentions) but this was mostly Jack Dee doing what he does best - and doing it well.
You may also want to watch:
• Following his Norwich show Jack Dee posted in Twitter: 'Thanks Norwich. V nice crowd. Horrible hotel so checked out and driving home. Until next time.'
• Tell us what you thought about Jack Dee's performance below.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham