Review: Family Jazz All-Stars at Norwich Playhouse
- Credit: Norfolk and Norwich Festival 2017.
What a great performance. The Family Jazz All-Stars are an impressively coordinated small group that plays with a strong focus on rhythm and improvisation.
The unit is tied together by their impressive, highly focussed bass. The pianist also plays wonderful chords, often reflecting the melodic tune led by the sax player. The group is fronted by Juliet Kelly, a polished singer with a gloriously relaxed, free approach. The group mainly focuses on wonderful and familiar pre-war standards.
These were complimented by numbers from a contemporary repertoire, particularly reflecting the exotic Latin rhythms of Astrud Gilberto and more recent performers like Nina Simone. The breadth of their appeal was reflected in the capacity audience at Norwich Playhouse with ages ranging from pre-teen youngsters through to quite a few who will never again see three score years and ten.
If you get a chance to see this polished group, you will be in for a relaxing melodic and polished master-class of fine musicians turning familiar old tunes into contemporary melodies.
You may also want to watch:
Family Jazz All-Stars is part of this year's Norfolk and Norwich Festival.
For more Norfolk and Norwich Festival stories click here
For a full list of Norfolk and Norwich Festival events click here
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 5 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 8 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer