Review: Empire of the Sun
Emma LeeDancing swordfish, capes, head-dresses, shiny catsuits…Empire of the Sun's performance on the main stage last night might just have eclipsed the Pet Shop Boys from last year in terms of theatricality - and madness.Emma Lee
Empire of the Sun
Dancing swordfish, capes, head-dresses, shiny catsuits…Empire of the Sun's performance on the main stage last night might just have eclipsed the Pet Shop Boys from last year in terms of theatricality - and madness.
A collaboration between Australian musicians Luke Steele (of the Sleepy Jackson) and Nick Littlemore (from Pnau), they started recording in 2007 - and the resulting album, Walking on a Dream, went top 10 in their home country when it was released.
You may also want to watch:
A comparison to US duo MGMT was perhaps inevitable - their music is similarly electro pop-py and they too do like a nice cape.
Now Luke is touring alone while Nick works on other projects.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 4 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 5 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 6 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 10 Tree falls on rail line as winds up to 69mph hit Norfolk
And what a show it was - I thought I'd somehow accidentally walked in to a psychedelic space disco.
Luke's sartorial ensemble involved a head-dress so tall that someone had to be employed to remove and replace it every time he swapped guitars.
There were pulsating disco beats, costume changes, the aforementioned marine life and, as Luke informed the, his backing dancers were 'space girls from the future'.
Yes, even time travel is possible at Latitude.