Review: Cirque Berserk at Norwich’s Theatre Royal
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Circus in all its forms has hit the big time and the Theatre Royal has joined the party with Zippos and its creation Cirque Berserk.
Zippos Circus is well known for its traditional, family shows. But there's no big top here.
They have created the work just for theatres.
That means there's more than a nod to the sort of entertainment that usually treads these hallowed boards. The narrative of suspense and the intimacy of the performances are worthy of the best dramatist.
Strap acrobat, Jackie, for instance, does some virtuoso aerialism on her twirling rope, but it's her frighteningly well-timed falls that get you wondering what will happen next. As the strap tightens about her ankles, you feel her pain.
You may also want to watch:
Czech knife thrower Toni hurls axes at his wife as she spins on a board. He's deadly accurate, but once or twice it seems his wrist slips... where will this story end?
The finale sees four motorcyclists whizzing perilously around the interior of a giant spherical cage. As they dodge collision at every turn, it's gripping drama – and the dangers of it appear all too real and very close at hand.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 6 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 7 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 8 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 9 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 10 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
The show runs until Sunday.