Review: Cirque Berserk at Norwich’s Theatre Royal
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Circus in all its forms has hit the big time and the Theatre Royal has joined the party with Zippos and its creation Cirque Berserk.
Zippos Circus is well known for its traditional, family shows. But there's no big top here.
They have created the work just for theatres.
That means there's more than a nod to the sort of entertainment that usually treads these hallowed boards. The narrative of suspense and the intimacy of the performances are worthy of the best dramatist.
Strap acrobat, Jackie, for instance, does some virtuoso aerialism on her twirling rope, but it's her frighteningly well-timed falls that get you wondering what will happen next. As the strap tightens about her ankles, you feel her pain.
Czech knife thrower Toni hurls axes at his wife as she spins on a board. He's deadly accurate, but once or twice it seems his wrist slips... where will this story end?
The finale sees four motorcyclists whizzing perilously around the interior of a giant spherical cage. As they dodge collision at every turn, it's gripping drama – and the dangers of it appear all too real and very close at hand.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 4 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 5 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 6 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 7 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 8 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 9 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 10 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed
The show runs until Sunday.