Review: BUG XL Special
- Credit: Archant
There's no need to envy London when Adam Buxton can bring the best of his BUG shows to Norwich in such charming style.
Focusing on the worlds of music videos and internet commenting, BUG features its comedian compere leading us through some of the most entertaining and unusual promos interspersed with clips from the web and the wisdom of the 'below the line' commenters on YouTube.
This week's shows at Norwich Playhouse focus on the XL Recordings label, which recently marked its 25th birthday, and their esoteric roster that ranges from The Prodigy to Vampire Weekend.
Recent London BUG outings have seen guest hosts in charge, but Buxton was back at the helm and on fine form for tonight's show in Norwich, opening with film of him cycling through the city's streets to the venue. As with previous BUG nights, it's Buxton's wit and charm that really make the show special as he brings to life some of the more vitriolic and idiosyncratic voices that leave YouTube comments on the selected videos.
Sometimes though, all that is needed is to wallow in the breathtaking artistry of the films he shows: Christopher Bono's choral piece Unity was one of those. A far cry from the frenzied guitar sounds of the White Stripes shown earlier in the night, they nonetheless fit comfortably together in this wide-ranging show.
If you've got ears and enjoy laughing, there will always be something for at BUG.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Norfolk to be battered by winds of up to 65mph as Storm Arwen hits UK
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 Flood alerts issued for parts of Norfolk due to stormy conditions
- 5 Norfolk stately home neighbour dispute sees campsite owner in court
- 6 A11 northbound closed following crash near Attleborough
- 7 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 8 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting girl on her way to school
- 10 NCFC LIVE: Spirited City held to 0-0 draw by in-form Wolves