Rare show from the doctor of jazz
COLIN WILSON Worldwide crowd-pulling headliner on the jazz festival circuits, Dr John, who proudly stands alongside Louis Armstrong and Fats Domino as one of New Orleans' most distinctive voices, plays a rare solo performance at the UEA, Norwich, on Monday.
Worldwide crowd-pulling headliner on the jazz festival circuits, Dr John, who proudly stands alongside Louis Armstrong and Fats Domino as one of New Orleans' most distinctive voices, plays a rare solo performance at the UEA, Norwich, on Monday, January 10.
Not only is the good doctor's dry, gravelly cackle one of the most infectious sounds in both jazz and popular music, but he is universally celebrated as the living embodiment of the rich musical heritage exclusive to the Crescent City.
Both his unique musical approach and his striking physical appearance encompass local African-American-Indian and Creole influences mixed in with quite a few equally exotic tributaries besides.
You may also want to watch:
Dr John will be playing songs from his new album 'N'Awlin Dis Dat D'Udda as well as tracks from albums like Gumbo and In the Right Place which thrust him into the charts in the early Seventies.
Support comes from UK blues artist David Viner.
- 1 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 7 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 8 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 9 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
Doors 7.30pm. Tickets at £16.50 (seated only) in advance are available in Norwich from UEA Union, Waterfront, Soundclash and HMV. Credit card bookings on 01603 508050 or www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk