Poignant First World War play set to take Sheringham’s stage
- Credit: Archant
A darkly comic look at the First World War takes the stage at Sheringham in a community production.
Oh! What a Lovely War touches on the futility of war, and the false illusions of glory promoted to both the solders on the front line and the civilians back home.
The stage musical was first performed in 1963, and poignantly the 1969 film version was the first taste of movie directing for Sir Richard Attenborough, who died at the end of last month.
The iconic musical gets the seaside treatment at Sheringham Little Theatre from Wednesday September 10 to Saturday September 13.
The production, marking the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, will feature more than 20 local actors, with more than 60 years experience.
It is being directed by Michelle Thompson who first got involved in the theatre role when acting in the show at Sheringham eight years ago when she was a teenager.
She has gone on to be one of the venue's professional directors.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 5 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 6 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 7 Woman arrested after man hit with a broom in city centre
- 8 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 9 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
- 10 PRESSER: Spurs v City - Rashica major injury blow; Normann also out
She said: 'It's simply incredible to be working with such a bright and eager cast.
'The structure of the musical provides ample room for experimentation and creativity – whether it's about coordinating the marching of the solders, or refining the comic timing of the performances. There's so much room here for individuals to apply their exceptional skills within the piece.'
Theatre director Debbie Thompson said: 'We couldn't be more excited for this production, and we know it'll be a great addition to the other centenary events taking place around the town. The whole cast have been working tirelessly to create something really special.'
• Oh! What a Lovely War will be performed at 7.30pm each night.
• Tickets cost £10 for adults and £5 for under 18s. To book visit www.sheringhamlittletheatre.com or call 01263 822347.