Pioneering loco Samson returns to Bure Valley Railway anniversary at Aylsham
A pioneering steam locomotive from the early days of the Bure Valley Railway is returning there to help mark the line's 21st anniversary.
When the narrow gauge tourist track opened in 1990 it owned no locomotives of its own and relied hiring them from the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent.
The railway has now built up a fleet of purpose built locos but keeps strong ties to its Kent counterpart - and to mark the Norfolk attraction's coming of age the three guest engines include Samson which hauled the very first passenger train on the Bure Valley back on July 10 1990
Other guest engines are Northern Chief the only Romney locomotive never to have visited the Bure Valley Railway before, and Northern Rock from the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway.
An intensive service will operate over the weekend of September 24-25 from both Aylsham and Wroxham with up to seven locomotives in action, subject to availability, some of which have never before been seen operating together.
Railway director Andrew Barnes said: 'It is fantastic to be able to celebrate the 21st Birthday of the Bure Valley Railway with our friends from both Romney and Ravenglass and to give visitors and enthusiasts alike the opportunity to see the locomotive which hauled our very first train back in action in Norfolk.'
For more information contact the Bure Valley Railway on 01263 733858 or visit www.bvrw.co.uk
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 5 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 6 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
- 7 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week