Pinocchio on Ice
Norfolk Showground, Costessey, Norwich
> Norfolk Showground, Costessey, Norwich
Wow, this is a show with everything but the kitchen sink in it. Actually, I think that I did spot a sink in there somewhere!
It stars both established and up-and-coming skaters from Hungary and is big on effort and impact, with enough costumes to satisfy the most dedicated fashion lover.
The story of Pinocchio is somewhat lost, indeed the whole concept of it being a bad thing to tell fibs doesn't really come across and the infamous nose doesn't move. Instead, there's scene after scene, maybe set at a circus, at a fair, in a pub, or underwater, with character after character to entertain. Look out for a cheeky cat played by Andrea Major while Bertalaz Zakany plays a very nimble Pinocchio although I would have liked to have seen more of him.
Special note should go to Diana Poth who crops up every second scene and is probably the most technically advanced performer.
Maybe the show isn't totally slick, maybe the narration pieces are too long but, boy, do the cast members work hard.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 Four Norfolk gastropubs named among best in UK
- 3 'Heartbreaking' - Vandals force landmark church to close after damage spree
- 4 Cyclist's relief as driver is convicted following traumatic accident
- 5 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
- 6 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 7 Hospital worker set for £60,000 payout after raising 'bullying' concerns
- 8 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 9 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 10 Two men charged with murder after death in Downham Market
If the Theatre Royal panto lot think their job is tough, they should take a trip to the showground.
t The show runs until January 3. Call 0870 444 1505 for tickets.