Pavilion big band concerts to get under way in Norwich
Parks across Norwich are soon to be filled with music as the city's 2011 Bandstand Concerts series begins this weekend.
On Sunday afternoon people will be able to relax to the sounds of the Pavilion Big Band, who will be performing at Chapelfield Gardens.
The 18-piece big band plays the classic swing and big band music of the 1930s to the 1950s including Duke Ellington, George Gershwin and Glenn Miller.
The Pavilion Big Band is one of a number of local groups taking part in the summer concert series that will see performances in city parks on Sundays throughout June, July and August.
The performances are free and people of all ages are being encouraged to go along and enjoy the musical entertainment at Chapelfield Gardens, Eaton Park, Mousehold Heath and Waterloo Park.
Brenda Arthur, the leader of Norwich City Council and the council's cabinet member for events and culture, said: 'These concerts give everyone the opportunity to get out and enjoy the city's parks, listen to some uplifting music, and just enjoy the summer.
'The events are free so why not take the whole family along with a picnic, make a day of it and enjoy Norwich's great parks.'
- 1 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 2 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 5 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 6 'We will all miss him': Poignant tributes paid to 'brilliant' solicitor
- 7 £1,000 reward offered to anyone who can help bring home missing dog
- 8 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 Arrive by boat at new Norfolk wedding venue
All of the 2011 Bandstand Concerts are on Sundays and start at 3pm. The dates and the locations are as follows:
June 5 – Pavilion Big Band at Chapelfield Gardens
June 12 – Top Brass Quintet at Eaton Park
June 19 – Taverham Band at Mousehold Heath
June 26 – Hellesdon and Sprowston Band at Waterloo Park
July 3 – Broadland Brass Band at Chapelfield Gardens
July 10 – Cawston Band at Eaton Park
July 17 – Pavilion Brass Quintet at Mousehold Heath
July 24 – Simon Youngman Quintet at Waterloo Park
July 31 – Norwich City Concert Band at Eaton Park
August 7 – Saxobility at Chapelfield Gardens
August 14 – Norfolk Wherry Brass at Eaton Park
August 21 – Dereham Band at Mousehold Heath
August 28 – Pavilion Brass Quintet at Waterloo Park.
The 2011 Bandstand Concerts are all organised by Norwich City Council and Brian Dermott.
For more information about the 2011 Bandstand Concerts search for Norwich City Council events on Facebook or visit www.norwich.gov.uk
Are you taking part in a special event this summer? Call Norwich Evening News reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email email@example.com
Looking for something to do? See the Going Out supplement in the Evening News every Friday and visit the Going Out section at www.eveningnews24.co.uk