Paintings by John Eaves
CHRISTOPHER SMITH Bircham Gallery, Holt
Bircham Gallery, Holt
John Eaves is a painter who gives it to us straight down the line.
What is remarkable is how much he is able to do with those straight lines and parallels. It hardly occurs to the viewer even to think about a more conventional use of curves.
You may also want to watch:
Bold horizontals in particular predominate with fewer verticals than lines that slope up, usually at a pretty sharp gradient creating more complex images that convey dizzier, less tranquil moves.
The artist himself draws attention to his attachment to landscapes, one of the traditional concerns of British painters. He has now moved from a figurative style into abstraction, but something of the former outlook still shapes his work in general.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 8 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 9 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 10 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
The exhibition runs until October 3. Visitors will also enjoy brightly coloured and imaginatively decorated slipware by the potter John Pollex.