Overstrand open gardens day will boost children’s hospice funds
The richness of the gardens in a seaside community once known as 'the village of millionaires' will be on show at a charity event this weekend.
Overstrand Open Gardens will take place on Sunday June 17 and visitors to the event will have a rare opportunity to see some surprising and unusual features normally hidden from public view.
They include parts of its original stunning gardens at the Pleasaunce, a splendid house designed by Sir Edward Lutyens in the 1890's which was once the holiday home of Lord and Lady Battersea.
The gardens at the Pleasaunce originally dominated the centre of the village and whether or not famous garden designer Gertrude Jekyll did create the Garden of Dreams, as it is known, remains open to speculation.
However, it is the legacy of these gardens that is inspiring twenty devoted gardening enthusiasts to open their gates to the public for a good cause this summer.
While one garden features the entrance to a tunnel that used to run under the road, another for example has a living roof.
After the success of last year's event, 12 more gardens are going on show for the first time and visitors will be delighted by the individual styles on display.
- 1 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 2 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 5 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 6 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 7 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 8 Seven of the oldest Norfolk businesses
- 9 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 10 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
Light refreshments will be available at the sports ground courtesy of Overstrand Evening WI, as well as plants for sale and a chance to view old photographs of the village.
Overstrand Open Gardens runs from 10.30pm to 5pm. Adults �3, accompanied children 16 and under free. (Sorry no dogs) Tickets with information, map and garden descriptions on sale at Overstrand Village Sign or from any participating garden. All profits from the event will be donated to Quidenham Children's Hospice.
Further information from Jacquie Lloyd on 01263 576965 or email firstname.lastname@example.org