Orch. of St John's + KL Festival Chorus
The pulsating opening bars from the orchestra in Handel's Coronation Anthem Zadok The Priest inexorably built up the tension paving the way for performance that was full of patriotic fervour and setting the standard for the remainder of this Golden Jubilee concert.
The pulsating opening bars from the orchestra in Handel's Coronation Anthem Zadok The Priest inexorably built up the tension paving the way for a spine-tingling entry from King's Lynn Festival Chorus into a performance that was full of patriotic fervour and setting the standard for the remainder of this Golden Jubilee concert.
The past year has seen the choir, now numbering some 100 voices, attain new standards of excellence in commitment and performance.
Nowhere was this more evident than in the second choral work of the evening Mozart's unfinished Great Mass in C Minor where throughout they produced superb tone and many moving moments.
Of the soloists Carolyn Foulkes was somewhat tentative in her entry but gained in stature as the work progressed. It was a pity there was so little work for the rich voice of bass soloist Paul Reeves. The quartet of soloists was completed by a second soprano Morag Atchison and tenor Andrew Murgatroyd.
You may also want to watch:
Conductor Michael Kibblewhite drew from the choir singing of a very high order while the playing of the Orchestra of St John's, one of the country's finest chamber orchestras, was beguiling.
These qualities were particularly evident in the piece that separated the choral works, Mozart's Coronation Piano Concerto No. 26. A deeply satisfying first festival concert.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 10 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy